I stated to look into the costs of gyms again to help me narrow down the front runners. I figured I’d also see if my employer offered any employee discounts with any of the gyms I am considering. Turns out my employer offers a discount with Bally’s Total Fitness.
Wait, isn’t Bally’s defunct?
Wait, they have 8 locations left all in the northern part of New Jersey, no where near me.
That’s helpful, lol.
I know that when the Bally’s in my area closed their doors there was a big uproar for everyone who had active memberships. The former Bally’s had been purchased by LA Fitness and they were going to honor all active Bally memberships. Given this I still looked into the employee discount with Bally’s. Turns out the employee discount is the same price as a current Bally’s membership minus the registration fee, or $25/mo. In looking into the cost of a membership at LA Fitness I noticed the membership is $20/mo.
Riddle me this… why is the employee discount more then the regular membership fee?
I sent an email to the employee discount program asking if they were in the works for a discount with LA Fitness. We’ll see what they say. But, in the meantime I started to make a list of places, their cost, and the pros and cons.
LA Fitness: $20/mo
- Pros: Locations near home and the office, Full gym, classes, trainers, daycare, some locations with pools, juice bar, reciprocal use of other locations
- Cons: Huge place
Planet Fitness: $10-20/mo ($60 registration fee on the $10/mo membership)
- Pros: Locations near home and friends, $20/mo membership includes free tanning-reciprocal use of other locations-unlimited guests
- Cons: only cardio equipment and free weights, $10/mo membership is only for one location-no tanning-no guests
Retro Fitness: $20/mo
- Pros: Locations near home
- Cons: only cardio equipment and free weights
Curves: (doesn’t list price on website?)
- Pros: only women
- Cons: onlycardio equipment and free weights, only one location that is close to me/office
Lucille Roberts: $16-20/mo ($20-10 registration fee)
- Pros: only women, full gym, trainers, classes
- Cons: only one location that is close to me/office
Hmmmmm…. choices, choices, choices